Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Abraham Lincoln Diary Entry


April 14, 1865
Abraham Lincoln

Dear, Diary
I’m very stressed out. I’m very stressed out because I’ve been traveling the states with only 2 hours of sleep. It is very hard to run a country with only 2 hours of sleep. I’m sad because of the stress. Also the stress is making me look 90 being that I’m 50. All this stress came from the Civil War. I’m a little bit calm because General Robert E. Lee surrendered.

The way he surrendered was he marched his troops to Appomattox were a train would be awaiting him full of guns and ammunition. But then the north blew up the north ammunition. With his supplies at Appomattox destroyed, Lee now looked to the railway at Lynchburg, where more supplies awaited him. But the union troops were moving in on him.

General Grant {north}, sent a note to Lee {south} Asking him if he would like to surrender, and Lee said no. General Grant orders Sheridan to deploy three divisions of cavalry along a low ridge to the southwest of the Appomattox courthouse, anticipating a battle with Lee’s troops. The south responded by attacking General John B. Gordon attacked Sheridan’s cavalry and quickly forced back the first line.

Gordon’s troops charged through the union lines and took the ridge, but as they reached the crest they saw the entire union xxiv corps in the line of the battle. Lee asked the progress he was told: “Tell General Lee I have fought my corps to a frazzle, and I fear I can do nothing unless I am heavily supported”.

Then Lee said there is nothing left to do but go see General Grant, and I would rather die a thousand deaths.

On April 9, 1865 Lee surrenders at Appomattox. When every man surrenders to a war he is allowed terms.

The terms of Lee surrender:
· The south solders are allowed to keep their horses and pistols.
· All rifles, cannons, and military arms must be returned to the union.

· All south troops must be allowed to return to their homes in peace, without arrest or attack.

Today I hopefully want some of the stress to go away I am going the Ford Theater to go see American cousin with my wife.

By: Timothy
John
Del Orbe

No comments: